Friday 21 November 2014

Everything you need to know about Under Eye Concealing - Colour Correcting

In our first post in this series, we discussed some good products that we'd recommend for giving your eyes some TLC. In this next post, we'll be looking at that all important step of Colour Correcting. 


Step Two - Colour Correcting 

A few years ago, most of us, including me, had no idea what colour correcting was. It was one of those makeup artist secrets, like contouring that the average woman had never thought of. But many ashy under eyes later, we have learnt better! There's nothing worse than those grey patches under eyes, especially when you try to highlight and end up looking like death.


Technique at a glance 

If you've ever studied the colour wheel, you'll know that you can cancel out colours by applying opposite colours on top. So with purpley-bluey eye bags, orange and peach are the best colours to use to cancel those colours out. Applying a skin coloured concealer on top of your eye bags creates a horrible ashy base, so try and use a corrector when you can; the difference is amazing! After youve used a corrector and cancelled out your bags, apply a concealer that is the same colour as your skin (or a little lighter if you like the Kim K look) on top.


Products at a glance 

NYX Above & Beyond Full Coverage Concealer 




This stuff is pretty powerful. The first time I used it I had no idea what I was doing and didn't blend out the orange very well, which scared my family. Unlike other correctors I have used, this is a true orange colour, seriously carroty stuff which can be difficult to use if you don't use the right technique. It's also pretty heavy, so bear that in mind when applying it. However with the right techniques, this will quickly become one of your makeup favourites!

 I use my finger to apply this as it its a heavy product, and the few times I buffed it in with a fluffy eye brush it was a little cakey. Perhaps the heat from my fingers melts it and makes it work better? I take it right around my eyes going as high as my eyebrows. If I have any product left on my fingers, I use it to correct some areas of pigmentation I have around my lips. All round a great product.


Bobbi Brown Corrector in Deep Bisque       £19




The Bobbi Brown Corrector is a cult product that almost everyone who loves beauty and has eye bags has purchased. And there is good reason for that too, this stuff works. Simple as. One thing I like about this product is the range of colours in the line, you can almost certainly find a colour that will work great on the colour of your eye bags. A bright orange like the NYX Above & Beyond may not work on everyone on its own. Whats more, you can buy the double version that comes with a lovely finely milled yellow powder  to set it, which is a lot more convenient than sifting through my Luxury Banana Powder by Ben Nye.

However, it is a little heavy. I notice that it settles in the fine lines under my eyes, so I have to set with a powder whenever I use this. Would I recommend it? Its a tough one. Right now I am buying no Bobbi Brown products as I am boycotting Israeli supporting companies, so I won't ever be repurchasing. Plus, you also get through this stuff like water, its a ridiculous amount of product for the price you pay for it, which is why I would recommend the NYX or the Inglot correctors. That all said,  I don't think there is a product out there as good as this one right now. I guess thats my answer :)

Inglot Creamy Concealer in Peach           £5



Inglot's Freedom System <3
Ahh Inglot. Such an elusive brand, but so worth it when you muster up the energy to explore their Westfield Store. (What is up with the women who work in that store? Is it just me who find them very odd?! Anyways)

The Creamy Concealers were not a product I had heard of before, so I bought this on a complete and utter whim. The Freedom Palettes are a great idea, and worth every penny bearing in mind the quality of the product, so I bought a green and peach corrector.  I didn't even know Inglot sold correctors, but when I went wedding day makeup shopping with my bestie we spotted this and I knew it would work wonders. Its a little light, but don't be scared, this works nicely on nc42-nc44 skin. Its a beautiful formulation, smooth like butter, a little sticky which is good as the product doesn't move throughout the day. I used this on Tasneem on her wedding day and she loved it! I use a small buffing brush to work this, it works better than fingers as it is a little sticky.

I think everyone needs at least one corrector in their makeup bag, and the Inglot one is probably the best stepping stone into the correcting world! The price and quality of the product make it a no brainer.

Until next time,

Nahlabee xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated.